Friday, January 30, 2015

Into the Woods Gets Okay Ratings

Lexi Anderson
Staff Writer

 Over this past winter break, my sister and I took our usual trip to the Regal Barn to see the highly anticipated musical-comedy, Into the Woods.

Into the Woods, directed by Rob Marshall, is a twist on the classic fairytale characters we all know and love. It features iconic characters such as Little Red Riding-Hood, the Wolf, Cinderella, Rapunzel, and others along with the newly introduced baker and his wife. The Witch, played by the simply amazing Meryl Streep, sends the baker and his wife on a quest through the woods to find her specific objects, and in return she’ll make the baker’s wife (played by Emily Blunt) fertile. The other characters happen to all have their own reasons to go into the woods as well. Little Jack had to go to a different town to sell his goat, Cinderella was going to the ball, and Little Red Riding Hood was bringing bakery goods back to her grandmother. Their storylines begin to intertwine as the story unfolds.

As my sister and I sat down in our seats we waited excitedly for the movie the start. Into the Woods opens with a montage of the different fairytale characters singing the charming, but extraordinarily long song “Into the Woods.” What starts out as a sweet tune turns into an intense and almost headache inducing noise. Although, I still had hope. As the story progresses, and so do the songs, I’m liking the movie. It’s enjoyable, nothing amazing, but nothing bad none the less. The biggest fault in this movie is that there was a distinct point where it could’ve ended, and you felt like it was going to end. With about 45 minutes of the movie left, Cinderella is marrying her prince after being indecisive about him throughout the whole film, the baker and his wife have a child, Jack’s mom is wealthy, Rapunzel and her prince are happy and in love, Red and her Grandma are happy, and the Witch has regained her beauty. Right when you think the movie is going to close, another conflict arises that lasts another 45 minutes of the movie. Although the ending of the movie was heartwarming, I really just wanted it to end. I saw Interstellar with my sister as well which was a whopping 3 hours long, and honestly I felt like the 2 hour long Into the Woods lasted much longer. Although the movie itself wasn’t amazing, the acting and singing of the cast was quite good, with Meryl Streep and Emily Blunt doing a particularly good job.

 Overall, I would give Into the Woods three stars out of five. It lacked depth and didn’t really wow me but it was still an enjoyable watch. The cast was great and the musical numbers were fun and catchy. Surely it’s not something I’d watch again, but I don’t regret watching it nonetheless.